Today I am struggling with the bleh.
This is a feeling that most of us know all too well.
I typically plan my workouts based on my schedule and try to figure out early in the week what days I will do workouts, cross training, or my long run.
But what do you do when it doesn’t go according to plan? This winter has been bitterly cold in Iowa and hasn’t allowed for much outdoor running. I try my best to go for at least one to two outdoor runs a week. However, when I arrive home after work, running in the dark cold is often the last thing I want to do. So, I usually head to my local YMCA to do my assigned treadmill workout.
Last night we got about 4 inches of snow and my day feels especially sluggish. On these days I try my best to fight the battle of the bleh.
My Advice to Beat the Bleh.
1. An afternoon healthy snack. When my day is dragging and I am not in the mood for work or my workout I will have a small afternoon snack. A few of my pre-workout favorites are almonds, blueberries, or a rice cake with peanut butter. A small snack is a great way to boost the energy levels.
2. Listening to TSwift Shake it off. Everyone has a pump up song right?
3. A cute gym outfit. I have read that wearing heels in the office can make for a more productive day. Sometimes a cute gym outfit can be what it takes to get you out of the door. Don’t underestimate the power of dressing for the part.
4. My workout buddy! I love having someone to run with. In the winter we may not actually be running together per say, but having someone to hold me accountable can make a huge difference.
5. If all else fails I switch up my days and try a different workout. Get yourself to do something else-if your planned workout is just not going to happen then try one of your alternates! (When I am not in the mood for running my go to is yoga)
What do you do to beat the bleh?